Thursday, December 10, 2009

February Lady and Baby Sweaters



My February Lady Sweater is finally finished!  It took 3 skeins plus about 20 yards of a 4th skein (always buy the 4th skein). Still, 4 skeins of yarn netted me a sweater big enough for me, a baby sweater and some yarn left over. That's about $40 for 2 projects. I know I am biased because I sell this yarn, but I think that's a pretty good deal.

Normally I knit my project 10% longer and give the finished object a hot wash/tumble dry blocking. This initial treatment does two things. First, it gets a ton of lint off. If you've ever washed any new cotton garment you know what I'm talking about. Second, it allows the yarn to bloom and "sets" the stitches.

Notice I said I normally give it a hot wash and dry for its first wash. Peoples, I am a large woman with a loooong torso. By week 7 of knitting nothing but this sweater, I was ready to bind off. I bypassed the extra 10%, bound off and washed it by hand and it was just fine.  

What is Cotton Slub yarn?

Cotton Slub is a 100%  softly spun, thick-n-thin, sport weight, rustic handpainted yarn. The yarn is plied with soft slubs of cotton every so often. This yarn is a rustic yarn, meaning it has not been mercerized or bleached.

Cotton Slub makes a nice casual cool soft fabric that is machine washable on gentle. It is a non-mercerized cotton so it needs to be treated with a little more delicacy than a mercerized cotton when washing. The stitch definition is medium-to-good. It is a softly spun natural cotton and prone to a soft halo like all softly spun natural cottons, while still having enough structure to support the stitch definition of most textured stitches. The fabric will bloom in to a soft slubby fabric once it is washed, so please wash your swatches to get an idea of how the fabric will look in your finished garment. On most garments, I do turn the garment inside out and give it a single hot machine wash and tumble dry to bloom the yarn, set maximum shrink and set the stitch definition. I do subsequent washes inside out on cool gentle with an air dry.

Every skein has a minimum of 100g and 310 yards. Most skeins have 2-10g extra.

GUIDELINES (check your pattern requirements):
1 skein for most hats
1-2 skeins for most bags, baby garments and some small adult tanks
2-3 skeins makes most simple adult tanks
3-4 for a shrug
4+ skeins for most adult long sleeve pullovers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.