Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cotton Slub Baby Sweater

The Cotton Slub yarn has been a great seller for me. How often is it that you can make an adult sized cami, tank or sweater for $40 or less? I know of at least 5 February Lady Sweaters that have been knitted from 4 or fewer skeins of Cotton Slub, at least 2 Isabelle sleeveless sweaters and 1 Slinky Ribs sweater.

I usually have 5 or 6 sweaters worth of Cotton Slub in stock, but I am running low right now*. Everyone seems to want sweater quantities and that's great! I do have Perfect Turquoise, Peculiar Purple and a new seafoam green in sweater quantities ready to go once I get pictures taken of them.

Not everyone buys 4 skeins at a pop. That leaves me with an odd number of skeins left. What to do with those colors that have enough skeins left for a project, but not enough for a full sweater? Baby clothes are a great option. As are potholders, wash clothes, camis and scarves. I hope these sweaters, and projects I'll be posting in the near future, inspire you to make your own Cotton Slub single- and double-skein projects.

This cute baby sweater below took just over half a skein of yarn (56g of a 109g skein) for the smallest size. There is plenty left over for sleeves, a cute hat or (and?) booties. Your total cost for the yarn? $10, plus shipping.



Yarn: Cotton Slub in Brilliant Blue (the color is most accurate in the first picture)

Pattern: Boheme by Allegra Wermuth (Ravelry link)

Needle size: 4US

Pattern Modifications: The only modification I made for this pattern was to work the 4 edge stitches on each side in garter stitch. The button holes were too far over for my tastes, so rather than rip and reknit them (as I should have done), I sewed the button holes closed and used a button small enough to slip between the stitches closer to the edge.  I will move the button holes closer to the edge the next time I knit this pattern.

 Notes: Cotton Slub should be handwashed or machine washed gently and air dried most of the time, but the occasional machine wash/dry won't hurt it. This is going to be a shop sample, so I gave it the full machine wash/machine dry/steam block treatment. If you do this, be sure to wash your garment inside out, as you would with any knitted garment you throw in the machine.

There was about a 7% shrinkage, as expected with cotton yarn. The fabric softened quite a bit and the stitches evened out. I took a steam iron to the sweater after washing to relax the fibers back to their previous length and recovered most of the 7% shrink.



Yarn: Cotton Slub in Wisteria 

Pattern: Pearl Shrug by Kristen Rengren

Needle size: US 4

Pattern Modifications: Omitted sleeves

Notes: I was in a hurry to get this sweater finished for a gift, so I steam blocked it instead of giving it the normal wash/dry/steam. I am not worried about shrinking with this sweater. It came out big and could stand a little shrinking.

This baby vest took 3/4s of a skein of yarn. It calls for for sleeves and I had enough yarn to do them, but the pattern just looked a little odd with them so I ripped them out. I don't think this was a pattern issue. I think it was a gauge issue on my part. It is still cute, no?

 *Knitorious in St. Louis, MO has plenty in stock! I dropped off about 10 colors to them last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.