Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cotton Warp

I finally got the Cotton Warp listed last week and then promptly forgot to blog about it. Oops. Bad business owner. Bad blogger. No cookie.
 My creation

Cotton Warp is one of those yarns that sells well in person, but doesn't translate well online. I'd like to tell you more about this yarn and why I chose to carry it in my shops. 

There were 2 inspirations for this yarn. First, there are a lot of people out there who don't "get" hand dyed yarn or may be unaware of how many yarn options we have these days.  I wanted some sort of gateway drug yarn in to the world of hand dyed yarns.  Second, I wanted something exclusively for the weavers.

Cotton Warp 5/2 fit both needs. A big box knitter could try out a skein of indie hand dyed and make a finished project for a fairly low investment. Additionally, the lower price takes some of the pressure of finding the "perfect" pattern that some knitters sometimes have that keeps them from trying a yarn that may otherwise call to them. Plus, it's warp! It's designed as warp yarn for weavers!

  Woven Napkin by Crafty and Crap

The Cotton Warp is a nice, inexpensive way to knit/crochet/weave with hand dyed yarns. It is only $6.50 a hank and each hank is 463 yards of light fingering weight yarn. It can be used held single for fine-weight items, like shawls, or held double and triple for thicker items, such as crocheted potholders, wash clothes, bags and lightweight garments.
Double thick potholder made from Cotton Warp 5/2 held double
This yarn is a non-mercerized cotton warp. It is intended to be strong and soft to hold up to the abrasion of weaving. The hand of the fabric is soft and drapes well. Just because this yarn was intended for utilitarian purposes--wash cloths and baby bibs--don't let it stop you from knitting and crocheting wonderfully lightweight and colorful garments and accessories.

Crocheted shopping bag by ChrystalMo
 
I use the base yarn as a canvas to try out different color combinations or dyeing techniques, much the same way I do with my spinning roving. If I have new dyes or left over dyes, I pour them on and see what good new combinations I can come up with.  Because of this, many colorways are not repeated unless they prove to be good sellers. For this reason, you should buy enough hanks to finish your project.
Baby bibb from Mason Dixon Knitting, held double
At $6.50 a hank, I do hope you try it out sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.