Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spinning!

I am using this month's Tour de Fleece to spin up samples of each of the merino rovings I recently dyed and also to practice my art yarns techniques. The colors are, for the most part, one of a kind colors and every braid is slightly different.

My creation
The roving on the left is called Tie Dye. I used 2 braids to make 4 110-yard skeins of a dk to worsted weight 2-ply, fractal spun. There are 2 braids of Tie Dye remaining and the 4 skeins of handspun will be listed for sale next week. Please let me know if you would like me to reserve a skein or more for you.

Fractal spinning is a technique I learned about in Spin Off magazine. You split the roving in half lengthwise. You spin one half straight on to the bobbin, which makes one looooonnnng color repeat. The other half is further split lengthwise and each of those thinner pieces are spun on to a second bobbin. This second bobbin is filled with shorter color repeats. When you ply those 2 bobbins together you come out with a barberpoled yarn that gently self-stripes. 

My creation
The roving on the left is called Carnival. I used 1 braid to make 2 skeins of a super thick and thin yarn, plied with a periwinkle blue. There are 3 braids of Carnival left and the 2 skeins of handspun will be listed for sale next week. Let me know if you would like me to reserve a skein or two for you!


My creation
This roving is simply called Black and Red. I used 1 braid to make a hybrid of the 2 skeins above. This is a 2 ply yarn, but one of the plies alternates between very thick and very thin. I have 2 braids left of Black and Red. I am planning on using this skein of handspun to make a scarf for myself, but I can easily spin up more if you are interested.

As always, I am happy to do custom spinning for any of the fibers I offer. I can do custom spinning for most non-Dyeabolical wools, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.