Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday is for Meandering Blog Posts

I'm dyeing felting fiber and merino/tencel this week! If you would like a certain color of either, please email me before Tuesday. 
=======
There is apparently a wool price crisis. According to this article, the price for wool is so low that some farmers would rather burn the wool than sell it. Shouldn't that mean I can get wool cheaper? I've read other places that there is a wool shortage. Shouldn't that mean that wool costs are higher?

Someone more educated in supply and demand economics needs to explain this to me. A declining price for wool doesn't jive with my experience. I have experienced several alarming increases in the cost of materials in the last 2 years while the flood of new dyers in the market place have driven prices on hand dyed down. Of course, I'm not Savile Row by a long shot. If I were Savile row, then perhaps I would have plaid sheep, too.
I start humming "Sheep May Safely Graze" whenever I see sheep. I can't help it. Get out of my head, Bach! 
I've been up since 3:53am to take someone to the airport. I would be back asleep now except that someone forgot to pack something vital and I need to ship it as soon as FedEx opens at 8. If I lay back down I'll be asleep until noon.

I still have that same 50 pounds of wool and warp sitting on my table. They just need to be processed--e.g. prep for dyeing, wash--but I just don't wanna do it. I feel like I just now got the roving dust bunnies under control from the last time I processed a wool order in, but it must be done. I have maybe 6 pieces of felting fiber in stock and orders for lots more waiting. It isn't that pulling wool is hard. If anything it is the opposite of hard. It is more that I've finally relaxed after 2 weeks of trying to settle in to a day off and getting started again is difficult. I could wait until Thursday, when my assistant comes to assist, but that seems sort of lazy since it won't take more than 20 minutes to do. It seems especially lazy when you consider how much I love dyeing itself and 20 minutes of boring work yields 3 days of happy dyeing.

On one of those sort-of days off I helped Annie dye some of her handspun using black walnut dye. And when I say I helped Annie, what I mean is I provided some worthless speculation on the nature of natural dyeing and made faces for the camera.  I love Annie's camera and her skill with the camera. I actually look like myself in those pictures and not some grossly exaggerated version of myself.

Scott has a new toy.
The box says it is for ages 8 and up. 
Weaving is hard tedious. I can't imagine any 8 year old warping a loom and weaving by his or herself and sticking with it. I'm not tempted to start weaving at all. The only slight temptation is to bust out a scarf in an evenings worth of work, but then I think about the mind numbing shuttling, beating, shuttle through, beat, shuttle, beat and suddenly I'm thankful I have friends--and now a husband--who weaves so I don't have to.
drying on the drying rack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.