Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Booth pictures

Scott and I have been going back and forth and back again about how we ought to set up our booth with our new display grids. Tower Grove gave us some nice practice. 
The booth looks a little sparse. We brought too many grids and only half our inventory. I think it would look better if we had yarn going all the way down to the bottom, but right now we're using those corner shelves, where the pink bowls are, to keep the grids stable and they can't go all the way down to the bottom without looking pretty dumb themselves. What we really need is a booth designer a few set of stabilizing feet instead of relying on the shelves to add stability. A stable base would do it, too. I like this set-up a lot and it keeps the grids off the floor: 
Scott doesn't love the display above. I just want the booth to look nice without the spousal stress that occurs anytime we have to assemble a functional retail display before we've had adequate coffee. I also would like to stop buying new booth furniture every year, because that's getting old fast. This seems like maybe a good compromise. We'll see how the /\/\/\/\ configuration works at Kentucky in a few weeks and then revise our plan for the next show....whenever that will be. Can I digress for a moment?

I want to do more fiber shows, but holy baloney they are expensive! You figure the booth fee, which can be anywhere from $60-$500, plus car rental, gas, food, hotel and I'd have to sell just about everything in this picture below in order to just break even on the travel costs, not to mention the costs of the inventory itself. Luckily, we have a free hotel and car rental for Kentucky otherwise we wouldn't be able to do it. Someone who isn't me ought to organize a large St. Louis fiber festival that brings people in from all over the midwest.

At Kentucky we'll have twice as much inventory than we had for Tower Grove (not enough! not enough!) but only 1 more grid. I think I'll either bring wire cubes or a garment rack with shelves just in case we run out of room. Luckily, we have a 4-hour window the next time we set up the booth the night before and 1.5 hours the morning of the event to put the inventory up. 
I gather that many people leave their inventory up all night at these fiber events. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I get there, but what happens if there is wind and rain or an unscrupulous person* about?  At home the inventory goes in a plastic bag and then in to a lidded container as soon as it is dry. I don't see why I would store my inventory any differently at a show than I would at home.

*or an unscrupulous squirrel, such as we had at Strange Folk who used my empty display as a nightclub.

4 comments:

  1. Stray thought: If the empty spaces at the bottom bother you, could you use some "s" hooks to hang lengths of fabric in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stray thought, too. (great minds and all that) Being a farmer's market junkie, I think the displays are perfect. There are many dogs and small children with sticky hands. I would most definitely keep the bottom free of fiber. I do like Joy's idea of covering the bottoms with fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I spy solid colors in that display? I'd love to see some of those on Etsy, to compliment your multicolored yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do see semi-solid colors in the display! Everything in the booth are items that aren't listed in the shop yet or are being held until after my spring shows are over. I don't do many semisolid sock yarns, but I do normally carry semisolid lace, superwash worsted merino and cotton yarns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.