Sunday, June 26, 2011

I think I'll keep him

Scott is the cook in the family. It takes him for-ev-er to get dinner ready and about another half hour to clean the kitchen afterwards, but it is almost always worth it. In contrast, my preferred method of cooking is heat-and-serve, preferably in the microwave so I don't have to spend time supervising the stove or washing extra dishes.

I've been cooking a lot for myself lately while Scott is at work. The meals have been quick and easy for me, but sort of bland and tasteless. I know how to cook if I start with a recipe. I can cook a hell of a meal if I'm starting with a recipe, but taking a random assortment of food and turning it in to a meal is a skill that eludes me. My mom even wrote a chapter in to the family cookbook of things you can make without a recipe. I'm pretty sure she was thinking of me when she wrote it. "I sent you to a good school and you can't figure out how to turn eggs, milk and bread in to a meal" is not the name of the book, but it should be.

Anyway, by Thursday I was out of eggs, milk and bread and was too busy to go buy more, so I ate anchovy pizza for lunch and cold black beans with a spoon over the kitchen sink for dinner. Then the weekend arrived and so did Scott and his magic culinary skills. He took random things and combined them in to meals! And they didn't suck!
Fresh tomatoes, red onions, basil and oregano from the garden, fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette
Italian sausage, turnip and beat greens wilted in the sausage fat (YUM), roasted turnips
This morning he made poached fruit and oatmeal. He's in the kitchen right now making a steak salad.

[UPDATE: OMG. Nevermind all those nice things I just said. Dude just tried to feed me BEETS. Where's the love, I ask you. Where's the love?]

And when Scott wasn't cooking up 4-star meals? He wove me this scarf. I KNOW, right? 
Dyeabolical Cotton Warp "Maude" on a Cricket loom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.