Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hello!

Hello! Wow, a lot of you visited my website yesterday! You might be new here, so I thought I would reintroduce myself and give the who, what and wheres.

Thank you to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee for linking me in her blog post. Major mucho thanks to KateOhKatie, who power-knit a shawl so I could be at Stephanie's book signing in spirit. How cool is that?

Now, who the heck do I think I am and what do I do?

WHO:

Rachel--knitter, dyer, spinner, coffee drinker. Former freelance writer and editor who abandoned the profession because I am really quite bad at grammar and spelling. I was excellent at turning other peoples ideas in to long bits of serious-sounding fluff, but it sort of killed my soul to do it. And I write slow. And I start sentences with "And". It is really best for both the writing world and myself that I dye yarn now.

I am the dye mistress dye master  dyer for Dyeabolical. That's Dyeabolical with a ®. Before I was a really bad freelance writer I took law classes,including an intellectual property class where I learned how to turn a (tm) in to a ®. I'm not sure that was worth the $1200 in tuition for that class, but there ya go. Oh yeah, I also like to digress a lot. A lot. 


I am the sole dyer for Dyeabolical, aka Dyeabolical Yarns and Spinning Fibers. I have been doing this job since 2007, first part time while I worked full time at a yarn shop and now full time. I have a ridiculous origin story on my etsy profile page, but the true story of how I got started is this. In 2007, the colors I liked weren't being dyed, so I dyed them. I had it in the back of my mind that I might want to do this as a profitable hobby someday, but at first I was just practicing. I took the yarns to the LYS I worked at to show them off to my co-workers and strangers bought them wet off the hangers. Then it happened again. Then it happened again. The owner offered me shelf space and BAM! A company is born.


WHAT:

My dye style is bold, saturated colors in strongly variegated handpainted colorways. I have branched in to other forms of dyeing, including tonals, semisolids and kettle-dyed yarns and I like those just as much as I love the variegated sock yarns.

I prefer doing one of a kind artisan yarns, but I accept that my customers want repeatable colorways. The picture above are several of my repeatable sock colorways. You can also request these colors on a different wool base or on spinning fibers.

You will find both one offs and repeatables in my shop. Repeatables usually have a colorway name and one ofs usually do not have names.
I do needle felting fiber, too.

I started doing fiber and sock clubs this year. Fiber club runs 1st and 3rd quarter. Sock club runs 2nd and 4th quarter. Signups for the clubs start about 1.5 months ahead of time and will be announced here in this blog. Fiber club sign ups will be starting next, in about 2-3 weeks. 
My creation

WHERE:
The easiest way to find me is to go to http://www.dyeabolical.com From there you can link to my shop, my blog and see where I am vending next.

You can also find me on:
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DyeabolicalYarns?ref=si_shop
Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/dyeabolical
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DyeabolicalYarns?ref=sgm
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/dyeabolicalyarn
Email: dyeabolicalyarns@gmail.com

I also have a video blog that embarrasses me deeply and yet I do it anyway, most often when I am suffering from chronic writers block and have better things I should be doing. You can find my video blog here in the archives of this blog or you can subscribe using iTunes. Just search for "dyeabolical" in the iTunes store.

Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.