Monday, December 26, 2011

On the second day of Christmas

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me some size 00 needles and a request that I please wake up at 5am so the cats and I could take our medicine and since I'm up could I please, please, please finish his Christmas present. His hands are cold and he'd like to wear his handspun, hand knitted qiviut gloves when he goes out to brunch this morning. For you non-knitters, qiviut is the down from the Alaskan musk ox. It is 8 times warmer than wool, stronger than wool, and resistant to felting. Cashmere feels like a brillo pad compared to qiviut. It is a precious fiber that requires a bit of scrimping and saving, but oh! To spin it is divine. Just don't do what I did and spin it to a cobweb weight or you, too, will be up at 5am morning after morning trying to juggle sticks that are smaller than skewers trying to get your precious project finished. [Please note that I think it is charming that Scott thinks I'll finish half a glove and 6 fingers in just a few hours.]

It's been a quiet month on the blog, but not in the world of Dyeabolical. When I haven't been pretending to knit, this is what's been going on:
  • Over the last few months I created colorways inspired by the Kakao Chocolate logo, the Pudd'nhead Books logo, Traveling Tea, and Queen's Cuisine, as well as a color exclusive to Ewe Knit Yarns that matches their loglo.  A reporter from the local side of Patch.com picked up the story and wrote about the new colors. It's been about a week and I am still busting with happiness over the article. 
  • My shelves are stacked full to overflowing with cotton yarns, spinning fibers, and fabrics to dye. What isn't on my shelf is any substantial amount of sock yarn. Oops. That was a major oversight on my part!  Sock yarn will be a little slow to be updated in January, but I will get out everything I can. In the meantime, can I interest you in any spinning fiber? :) 
  • Several of you have noticed that I don't have the November FO post up yet. It isn't because I don't want to! I do! Some of you have sent me pictures of some very nice projects. I'm sorry I haven't gotten the post up yet. My personal and business lives have gotten very busy lately and things are starting to fall through the cracks. 2012 will be the year of delegating tasks, including some blog posts. If you are interested in guest blogging, please shoot me an email at dyeabolicalyarns at gmail dot com
  • I stopped doing my video updates/videocasts/podcasts. They may return someday, but not until I have a better set-up and a faster computer. I started them to save time and they ended up taking up as much time as a part-time job and the production quality wasn't very good. I would love to do some audio podcasting in the future, either involving the business or separately, but I would have to find a cohost and someone more tech savvy than me. 
  • I changed the shopping cart software on the website yet again. What do you think? It's a keeper, right? It was so easy to set up. http://www.dyeabolicalyarns.com/ The site is now tied to Etsy so I don't have to worry about keeping separate inventories for the Etsy shop and the .com shop. I can just list all of it on one site and the inventory is reflected on both sites. The blog still needs a bit of work, but for the most part I think my website is done! Finally!
  •  I've started dyeing fabric! This is the first batch. I don't have them in the shop yet, because I haven't trimmed the stray threads or labeled them yet, but they are for sale. Just email me if you are interested. Each piece is about a yard and costs $15. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.