Friday, April 13, 2012

Dots of Plenty

I am so pleased that I have half an hour to sit down and blog this morning. I really miss it sometimes. I have a lot to catch up on, so I will dot it up and try to keep it brief.
  • Ann and I will be at the 26th Annual Southern Illinois Sheep and Craft Festival in Waterloo, Il tomorrow morning. The forecast predicts a 50/50 chance of rain, but we will be inside the barn, dry as a bone. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Waterloo from South St. Louis County.
  • If you can't make it to Waterloo, then you can catch up with Ann and I at the Lake Fiber Arts Show in Osage Beach, MO on April 28. 
  • Scott and I will not  be at the Kentucky show as vendors. We're pretty sad about it and hope to return next spring, but it was the right decision to make. It is better to let someone else who could be ready for the show take our spot than to push too hard getting ready and be miserable with pain the entire time we're down there. I'm such a delicate flower. {insert eyeroll here} Look for actual knitting content, some real blog posts, and pictures of life outside my kitchen once the Lake Fiber show is done.
  • [UPDATE: I completely forgot to mention that there is a Vittorio KAL. Details here.]A few months ago I put a call out for sample knitters. One of the people who replied was Corrina Ferguson (aka picnicknits). She offered to design with my yarn. Most of her designs are with semisolid yarns, so I was a little wibblywobbly about sending her a highly variegated yarn, but I am so glad I did. Look at this shawl!!! It is so amazing! It is called Vittorio and uses Strong Arm Skinny (or just Skinny, as I've been calling it lately) in the Flower Shop Inferno colorway. I have been getting so many emails about this colorway this week. Shortly after this blog post updates, I will be adding 9 hanks of this color in 4 different bases (2-3 per base) to the shop and I will have some with me at the show tomorrow.

  •  Preparing for two shows, the success of the Vittorio shawl and a lonnnnng back order on yarn at my main mill has left the shop very short on undyed yarn right now. I am taking requests for colorways to be dyed up specially right now and I am waiving my regular deposit fee as along as you are requesting one of my regular colorways on one of my regular bases. I have even resurrected the old Alter Ego base (superwash merino 2-ply, tightly twisted for strength, 429 yards peer 100 grams) and added a new heavy fingering/light sport base (superwash merino, over sized hank at 434 yards per 150 gams). It may take up to 5 weeks to dye your order, depending on the base you choose. The new yarn can be dyed up fastest, Skinny will take the longest. Here's a quick primer to my fingering weight to sport weight yarns.
Strong Arm Skinny - Superwash merino/nylon 400 yards per100 grams, 2-ply (perfect for soft socks nd shawls)

Alter Ego - Superwash merino, 429 yards per 100 grams, 2-ply (this is the base I used to use back when I started, there is no nylon content but it is great for shawls and lightweight garments)

Bling - very similar to Skinny, but with sparkle (perfect for soft socks and shawls)

BFL HardTwist - 438 yards, 100 gram made from superwash blue faced leicester. This is one of my favorite yarns. It takes dyes slightly darker than the other fingering weight yarns and is a nice sturdy European-style sock yarn. BFL is slightly rougher than merino, but still next to skin soft. It is better suited for socks than merino, so does not require nylon content to make a sturdy sock yarn.

A new yet unnamed base yarn - superwash merino, heavy fingering weight, almost a sport weight, will be sold in oversized150 gram hanks, about 434 yards 3-ply.

Sporty! -- superwash merino wool, sport weight, 328 yards per 100 grams. I don't dye this one very often.

4 comments:

  1. I'm stalking the mailbox waiting for my Flower Shop Inferno. You could not have put my favorite colors together any better than that, and I can't imagine a better pattern than Vittorio to show it off! This has moved to the top of my project list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it is so funny. This colorway has been around for probably 4 years, but it was always a slow seller until this year. It suddenly just took off. I'm glad I didn't discontinue it.

      I am so glad you like it. I cannot wait to see your Vittorio. That pattern is AWESOME.

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna knit this one. I bought the pattern yesterday and plan on "participating" in the KAL on Ravelry. I just love how it accents your gorgeous dyeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I saw that while I was packing orders this morning. Corrina did an amazing job designing that pattern. I feel so honored that she used my yarn.

      Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.