Sunday, June 17, 2012

Customer FOs: The May Edition

It's that time again - time for us to take a peek at what people have created out of Dyeabolical yarn and fiber. May brought us quite a few FOs, so grab your coffee (or beverage of choice) and peruse the pretty with me.

What are FOs, you ask? FOs are Finished Objects. A finished object is any item knitted, crocheted, woven, felted, spun or otherwise transformed from Dyeabolical yarns or spinning fibers into another form (e.g. yarn knitted in to mittens, warp crocheted in to dishcloths, fiber in to a felted object, dyed top spun in to yarn). If you would like me to include your FO in an upcoming post (or if I have forgotten anyone!) email me or message me through Ravelry. Thank you to Rachel's customers and friends for letting me share your FOs with everyone!


First up, an FO from me! (Kara!) After a long time on the needles (mostly hiding from fear it wouldn't fit) and repeated pleas for me to TRUST THE SWATCH, I finished my Folded sweater out of the old Silkerino fingering weight I picked up at the Strange Folk Festival a few years ago.
This blocked out even bigger than I anticipated, which worked out well (obviously). If only I hadn't finished it just as the weather turned to summer here. (project page)

Ruth (knitngoddess) combined Smashed and Themyscira Bling Sock to make this amazing Arroway shawl.
Could this be more beautiful? The colors work so incredibly well together - its like the perfect marriage of pattern and yarn. (project page)

Deborah (7LetterDeborah) finished up two Dyeabolical projects in May - first up, her travel socks out of the Bling base in a one of a kind colorway. I am loving how this color knit up into socks. (project page) [and I super love how Deborah's socks turned out too big for her, but fit me great. - Rachel]

Next, she used the discontinued Cotton Slub and soda can tabs to make a purse for the Jabberwocky swap. I am absolutely fascinated with this purse - I can't imagine the work that went into this. (project page)

Alli (AlliLuvsCrochet) used a skein of Bling in a one-of-a-kind colorway to make a mini-Boneyard shawl. Very pretty! (project page)

Sheri (Craftysly) knit up this Piper's Journey shawl using Strong Arm Skinny in Superheroes and a non-Dyeabolical yarn.
I just love how this turned out. I would not have thought to use two colors on this shawl before seeing Sheri's version, but it looks fantastic. (project page

Moving into the handspun arena, Sarah (YarnGeekFibers) used the merino/bamboo handspun she finished in February to knit an Elis cowl. Lovely. (project page)

Shanda (Cre8vleigh) spun up some BFL fiber in the Blood Orange colorway.
Which she combined with some non-Dyeabolical alpaca to make an Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief.
This is gorgeous and a great use of the handspun. (project page)

Zillahknits turned some Superwash English 56's Wool fiber in Steampumpk into 70 yards of a 2-ply yarn. (yarn page)
 Which became a Mustard scarf.
I love the long color repeats she was able to create and the pattern is great for handspun! (project page)  This is the same type of fiber that was just reviewed in Knitty, so there's some in the shop right now in Sid Fishious

We have another great handspun-to-finished-object project from Gwynthie.  She fractal spun some Dance Mistress merino fiber. (yarn page)

Which then became this fantastic Amanda hat. (project page)

Kelly (photokitty) was a busy spinner in May. First, she used two club colorways (Temple Door & Mr. Fuchsia) to create some striking combinations. (yarn page)

And she spun Malliot Jaune (another older club colorway) into a single-ply skein of fabulous.(yarn page)

Stacy (StacyLoves) spun up her 8oz of Sid Fishious into about 640 yards of 2-ply yarn. I love this (full disclosure: Sid Fishious is my current favorite colorway.) (yarn page)

Finally, I am pretty sure that Kara (Shells) put her Manxome Foe club colorway on the wheel as soon as it arrived in the mail because she had it spun up by the end of May. She got the Oatmeal BFL/Silk fiber & spun it into 455 yards of 2-ply laceweight yarn. I can't wait to see what this turns into! (yarn page)

If Kara's handspun is making you kick yourself for missing out on the last club color, don't forget to sign up for the next club fiber (or yarn) in Unbirthday in the shop now! Pre-orders are being accepted until June 22, so place your order before it's too late!

And with that, folks, we are all caught up on the FO posts for the year so far! I'll still be here writing the FO posts, so remember to send your FOs my way, either through ravelry (karamichele) or email at starmonkeybrass(at)gmail(dot)com. I love seeing what you guys do with Rachel's yarn and fiber, so I can't wait to see what you have in store for the summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.