Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 14: The Random Number Generator Game

30 Days of Gratitude: 
Cliche as it may be, but TGIF.

NaBlaPoMo, Day 14: 

Do you know that vague sense of unease that happens right after you finish a project? I'm not a fan of that feeling. I have plenty of other WIPs laying around that I could work on, but none of them are ever quite right. Obviously the only solution is to cast on multiple things immediately. But what? Rather than lose hours (days) to trying to find just the right pairing of yarn and project, I have started using a new strategy. Cue the Random Number Generator Game.

Here is how I play:

1) Pull up my Ravelry queue.
2) Pull up a random number generator.
3) *Enter the number of items in my queue in to the generator.
4) Generate a number and find that number in my queue.
5) Either cast on that item immediately or delete it from my queue. 
6) Repeat from *.
7) Stop playing the game before things get crazy.

Ironically, my yarn stash is not all that big, so I gave myself $20 to spend if I needed yarn for a project or supplies to finish it. I also gave myself a few exceptions. 
  • Since I wasn't looking for crochet patterns, any crochet pattern that was chosen got to stay. 
  • Patterns that call for a very specific kind of yarn, and won't look right in any other yarn, get to stay. For example, Vintage Velvet gets to stay because it will only look right in a wool chenille, which I don't have and exceed my budget for this project.
I managed to cut my queue from 169 items to 126 items and things only got a little bit crazy. I started 4 new projects.

Purl Soho's Pom Socks


Cable Vision Wreath

Molly Hat 

and these darling cork trees




1 comment:

  1. I am so going through this unease after finishing a project & have been for like 2 weeks. I just don't know what I want to work on, so I wind up doing like 2 rows on a WIP & switching projects. So annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.