Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Books

My reading goal for 2013 was 50 books. I met that goal, sort of, if I include novellas and audiobooks. Yep, sure do.

My stats:
50 books (up from 38 in 2012)
12,874 pages (up from 9399 in 2012)
4 books were published in or before 1900, filling another goal to occasionally read some classics.

I can't pick just one favorite, so I will give you 3.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
This was a book club read about a young woman, recently aged out of the foster care system, and how she overcomes her own obstacles and helps others using her knowledge of flowers and their meanings.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Whoomp. Talk about your unlikeable characters. Unlikeable, but compelling. Gah! No spoilers, but no wonder it has topped Best Of lists for the last few years. 

The Circle by Dave Eggers
There is no blood, no gore, no monsters under the bed in this book, but gah! Scary! Scary! Scary! This book starts in near-present day and tells the story of a social media company that went from sharing lolcats to controlling social engineering. This has a similar feel to Ready Player One(also excellent) and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I loved the audiobook version.

Molly Harper was my most read author. Despite protests that I don't like vampire, romance, or Southern fiction, I consumed her books like candy. The narrator, Amanda Ronconi, was at least half of that. The Half-Moon Hollow series is more comedy and friendship than vampire or romance. It reminds me a lot of the Maggie Sefton Knitting Mystery books. Sure, there is mystery & mayhem, but mostly the story is about a group of friends hanging out a a local bookshop and their shenanigans. Start with the Jane Jameson series. Don't let the cover art put you off. They are cheeseball coverart of the cheeseballiest variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.