Thursday, January 21, 2016

What I'm Doing Now

There is a hashtag on Instagram called "widn", which stands for "what I'm doing now". I like the idea of taking a snapshot of what's happening right now. I just finished a book called "Steal This Art", so...I'm stealing the #widn idea for my blog. :)

What I'm Doing Now-ish: 

-Cherishing my alone time. My days are filled with work work, a special project (more below), getting back in to a post-holiday routine, reading, and knitting.

-Modified sun salutations. Let's be honest, yoga people. Sun salutations are really just slow motion burpees. They should count as cardio.

What I'm Knitting: 
- Lots of samples of self-striping yarns.


-I recently finished a test knit for Kelene Kinnersly for a pattern called Inamorata. This shawl will get its own blog post once the pattern is released. [Kelene also has 3 new, free hat patterns on her website made from Dyeabolical Superwash Worsted; along with a tutorial for knitting your first hat.]


What I'm Doing At Work:

-As always, dyeing special orders. Whenever I dye a special order I throw in 1-2 extra hanks of yarn to round out my dye lot. These extra hanks get placed in my Extras bin. Once the Extras bin is full, I do a shop update.

-One thing I am not working on is soaps. Production on spring soaps will start spinning up in the next week, but for now I'm enjoying a post-holiday break from soaps.

-Shop update. I did a shop update earlier this week.

- I have had a little bit of down time recently and used that time to make some self-striping versions of my more popular variegated colors and 2 previously retired colors. More details will be coming early next week, along with a shop update later in the week. Self-striping yarns are very labor intensive, but I have really been enjoying the process and foresee doing more batches in the future when time allows.

What I'm Reading Now:
Recently finished:
Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon - Common sense advice for creative people.
Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell  - I loved this book of charming and creepy short stories. If you feel the same way about scarecrows that I feel about scarecrows, then save the last story for daytime reading.
Something About You by Julie James (audiobook) - The first in a series of books about U.S. attorneys and FBI detectives who fall in love despite a series of misunderstandings and bad guys trying desperately to keep them apart. Rabbit hole, here I come.
Recently abandoned:
After Alice by Gregory Maguire - I've never met an Alice retelling that I couldn't tolerate until now. Yawn. So much yawn.
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff - The prose is good, the narration is excellent, but the people are horrible and too familiar.

Currently reading:
I'm apparently on a pioneer women kick!
My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Bibliography by Laura Ingalls Wilder; Pamela Smith Hill (editor); My favorite annotation so far is not about LIW, but about Teddy Roosevelt and Jack London. The president calls out Jack London by name in a popular news magazine for being a "nature faker" and exaggerating the characteristics of nature for the sake of narrative drama.
 

1 comment:

  1. Self-striping, eh? Intriguing. Sounds like you're busy as ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.