Monday, March 14, 2016

$5 Soap Sale!

Hello friends!

I vended my last craft show with Dyeabolical Soap this weekend, so it's time to update the shop with the rest of the spring soaps. 5 new scents have been added, along with fresh restocks of past favorites. To celebrate spring, and a major transition (more below), I am having a $5 soap sale for this rest of March and April.

The most popular scent this spring has been the Citrus Rosemary (with a touch of vanilla) and Calm Yourself (lavender and geranium) essential oil soaps. My favorite is the Spiked Tea Tree soap. It has a traditional tea tree scent (slightly antiseptic) that is softened with cinnamon leaf essential oils.

And now some news. Bad news first:

Dyeabolical Soaps is winding down operations with an estimated close date of mid-June. Most of my soap sales have been focused here in St. Louis, but if you are an online customer then now is the time to stock up on your favorite soaps, perfumes and lip balms. As products sell out they will not be restocked. [It's just the soaps! No one panic and spread rumors about the yarn, ok? The yarn is fine!]

Soaps have always been part of the Dyeabolical plan. When I finally had the room to soap 3.5 years ago, I went at it like crazy. I made a business plan, set goals, met goals, carved out months of time to devote exclusively to developing my product, and asked myself vital questions about the business of soap along the way.

When I started talking about soap making and the chemistry of perfumery, my friend Jen had to interrupt me and ask "Yes, but does it smell good?" It's a metaphorical question that I've kept in my head throughout this process. I had a 7-season business plan and at the end of the last season I asked myself "Yes, but does it (the work, the extra hours, the weekends spent at shows, the sacrifice of studio space) still smell good?"


I've made well over 1500 bars of soap in the last few years and loved (almost) every minute of it. I love my soaps, I love my recipes, I love my customers who get so excited when they smell their favorite scent. But I love my family and I love my weekends. I don't love working out or taking medicines, but I need to make time for that, too. Moreover, Dyeabolical Yarn needs more attention. Working weekends and double shifts doesn't smell good anymore.

And now the good news:

There may be a buyer. I met someone who expressed an interest in starting her own soap company and we talked. I don't know if it will go through or not, but if we move forward then you will be able to buy my soap recipes again from a different company. If it doesn't move forward then I am considering publishing an e-book with my recipes.

And the other good news is that a well-rested Rachel means more mental energy to devote to yarn. I've had new test colors sitting on my desk for 4 months waiting for me to have time for them. I've had 2 stripes updates and the response has been amazing. There will definitely be more stripes in the future, along with new tonals and semisolids.

Of all of my creations, I love yarn the most. Yarn smells good.





2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to pop over and say hi. Your blog looks great. I know you redesigned it a while ago, but I don't frequent the blogs much. Sad to see your soaps go, but I am glad you might have a buyer for the business. That would be fantastic. Can't wait to try out some of those self-striping yarns. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very content to be letting the soaps wind down. I will still be making soaps for myself and family, just not for sale. The only thing I'm sad about is that I don't have 48 hours a day to do all the things I love. Thank you, Linda!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.