Friday, March 11, 2016

I'm in love, I'm in love

Something has been missing in my life. Two something have been missing in my life. And those two things are cables and socks.


Look at this nonsense. Those tiny cables on either side of the heart cable are my new favorite knitting trick. How have I gone for 10+ years not knitting tiny cables? I've lost more sleep this week working on this sock. I find it charming and I want to marry it.

All the pictures in this blog post were taken from the same angle in the same light all within 30 seconds of each other. The first picture is the most accurate. Teal is so awesome that it does not show up on camera without a lot of diva-esque coaching, leading one of my friends to say "That's so teal!" when referring to an awesome thing. Teal is awesome. Photographing teal is not teal.
And check out this heel. It's the Spacious OMG Heel by Megan Williams. It's fiddly, but so smart. It's a heel flap and turn with a mini gusset, but it doesn't involve the top of the sock at all, which makes it great for striping yarns. As my knitting friends pointed out, this is not a self striping yarn, but the heel fits great. (I'm betting that Megan is a combination knitter & purler based on her purl row directions.)
 Bonus: The bottom of the heel makes a little pooch that lets the sock stand up on its own. Or maybe that's just the yarn.This yarn does want to stand up on its own a bit. I love this yarn. (I hope it holds up terribly under wear. No really, that's what I hope, because if it holds up as beautifully as it knits up then I'm going to have to carry it in the shop. If I carry it in the shop then one of the other sock yarns has to go. It's irrational for me, a tiny kitchen dyer, to have that many sock yarn bases. Talk me out of this. Or in to it. Tell me what to do.)
The pattern is Liebelie by Regina Statta. The color is Moonlight Kisses. It is a glaze-dyed teal and I love it.

The pattern is in German. The charts have an English translation for the chart symbols only, but not for the pattern itself. Since I don't read German, I did a basic sock and dropped in the charts. I'm doing a 17 st/needle sock with 10 rows of twisted 1x1 rib, dropped in a Spacious OMG heel, then knit 10 rows plain before doing a round toe (I used the round toe from Rose City Rollers pattern by Mara Bryner specifically.) 

I'd love to talk more, but I have  3.5 hours until I have to be ready to set up for a craft show with the soaps tonight and I still have to rinse yarns and get ready. Plus, I want to cast on for the second sock and contemplate which German sock knitting pattern I'm going to make next. Can you see this Ravelry search for socks designed by German designers? I hope you can. Look at all the glorious patterning done with variegated yarns. That is right up my alley. I love designers who don't shy away from variegation.

If you are in the St. Louis area, I will be at the Lindbergh Craft Show on Saturday and Sunday with a full selection of my essential oil soaps. See you!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I just need to finish the second one. I was gung ho to get it knocked out, but then I got distracted by a sweater. You know it is. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If you included your email address in your profile, then I will respond to you soon.